FARM LIFE IS THE ONLY LIFE I WANT: A REVIEW OF HOOGWATER FARM (AKA HEAVEN ON EARTH)


We’ve had kind of a shift in thinking recently. As parents, I mean. During previous Christmas’ we would shower the girls with gifts and outings and hardly ever leave the comforts of home and Cape Town. Last year I spent a lot of time thinking about the kind of childhood I want my children to have. The kind of experiences I want them to look back on. I decided that I did not want a house full of toys and expensive gadgets, I wanted a heart full of memories. With that in mind, I went out of my way to find a few amazing holiday spots for us to visit during the December/ January school break.

To be honest, I have always felt a faint call to farm life. I know that sounds ridiculous, especially if you know me personally. I am about as “city girl” as they come. But one quiet afternoon I was browsing Airbnb and I stumbled across a listing for a farmhouse in Wolseley. The house itself looked nice and quaint. Then I read that it was on a working fruit farm and guests were free to roam the orchards and pick fruit and it just sounds like exactly the kind of break I wanted. So I went ahead and contacted Madri, the host, and booked for a 3 day stay in January.

Hoogwater Farm


Driving to Hoogwater, passing the scenic Witzenberg mountains, the rolling fruit farms, the tractors on the road carrying crates heaving with ripe peaches felt like a little slice of heaven. And then we pulled up to the farmhouse. Along a short dirt road, we reached a low gate, the kind you typically find on a farm in South Africa. Regan jumped out of the car and rolled the gate open. Madri was at the house welcoming my sister who had arrived shortly before us. The house was magic. I have to just add that the AirBnB pictures do not do it justice. Walking in it is impossible not to feel instantly relaxed and at home. The kitchen is cosy and houses a big dining table, the lounge is filled with books and blankets and serious comfortable couches. The front of the house has this rolling, lush green lawn which was perfect for the slip and slide we brought along. It also has a divine coal-fire hot tub which my kids lived in.


In the back of the house, there is a MASSIVE swimming pool which is fenced in (this alone was amazing for me as someone travelling with two small children). We walked through the orchards, braaied, drank bottles of gin, vegged out on the grass, cooked delicious breakfasts, took a bunch of naps and just had the absolute best time.

Highly recommend


I don’t often write travel reviews on this blog and because of that, I struggle a bit to find the right words to communicate how this stay felt. But indulge me for a minute longer…. It was perfect. Madri and her husband are perfect hosts, there was no request too small for them. They were available for whatever we needed. The house was perfect in absolutely every way. We are heading back to Hoogwater over the Easter weekend (which also happens to be my sisters birthday) and I am honestly counting down the seconds. I cannot wait to be back there.


If you are looking for a great, child-friendly getaway that is close to Cape Town, I would urge to give Hoogwater a try. You will not be disappointed!


Hoogwater has the farmhouse which comfortably sleeps 6 and the cottage which sleeps 4.

You can book via:
Airbnb or
Directly through the Hoogwater website

Have you been on any amazing mini-breaks recently? Share your accommodation suggestions in the comments!

Nikki
Xxx